To receive the report from the Cabinet Member for Environment & Transport and the Corporate Director for Growth, Environment & Transport and to consider and endorse or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member.
(1) The Cabinet Committee received a report of the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport and the Corporate Director of Growth, Environment and Transport which contained information on the A28 Chart Road Widening, Ashford . Mary Gillet, Major Projects Planning Manager, was in attendance to introduce the report and in particular referred to the following:
(2) The proposed widening of the A28 Chart Road is a KCC strategic proposal designed to ease local congestion and provide additional highway capacity to allow for the full strategic growth identified by the adopted Ashford Core Strategy 2008, including the Chilmington Green development.
(3) The widening extends from the Great Chart Bypass eastern roundabout (Matalan roundabout) and the Templar Way roundabout (Tank roundabout). The improvements would include the provision of an additional lane to the A28 Chart Road in both directions, between the Matalan roundabout and the Tank roundabout, resulting in a dual carriageway in both directions. Both roundabouts would also be improved, together with junction improvements to Loudon Way, Hilton Road and Brunswick Road. It would be necessary to widen the existing bridge over the railway to accommodate the dual carriageway.
(4) In order to optimise the design, reduce costs, minimise disruption and realise the benefits at the earliest time, it was intended that these strategic improvements were delivered as a single scheme.
(5) The recently announced award from the Single Local Growth Fund together with developer contributions secured via a proposed S278 agreement would enable the scheme to be progressed.
(6) RESOLVED that the Cabinet Committee endorsed the proposed decision to be taken by the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport to:
a) give approval to the preliminary design scheme for A28 Chart Road Widening for development control and land charge disclosures shown in principle on Drg. Nos. B1620900/H/003A and B1620900/H/007A;
b) give approval to progress the A28 Chart Road Widening scheme shown as a preliminary design on Drg. Nos. B1620900/H/003A and B1620900/H/007A, including any ancillary work such as drainage and environmental mitigation;
c) give approval for Legal Services to undertake a dedication, transfer or other such legal mechanism to secure the land required to deliver the A28 Chart Road Widening Scheme as shown in Drg Nos. B1620900/H/003A and B1620900/H/007A, including any ancillary works such as drainage and environmental mitigation and subject to any substantive amendments arising from the design being approved by the Corporate Director of Growth, Environment & Transport;
d) give approval to the publication of Compulsory Purchase Orders, any other statutory approvals and any other necessary legal rights or consents required for the scheme shown in principle on Drg, Nos. B1620900/H/003A and B1620900/H/007A, including any ancillary works such as drainage and environmental mitigation and subject to any substantive amendments arising from the outline design being approved by the Corporate Director of Growth, Environment & Transport;
e) give approval to enter into an agreement with Network Rail to allow the County Council to design and deliver a scheme on Network Rail infrastructure;
f) give approval to enter into funding ... view the full minutes text for item 33