To consider and endorse, or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport on a proposed decision to adopt and publish the Kent Waste Disposal Strategy
Roger Wilkin (Director of Highways, Transportation and Waste), David Beaver (Head of Waste Management and Business Services) and Hannah Allard (Waste Business Development Manager) were in attendance for this item
(1) Mr Pearman (Deputy Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport) introduced the report which asked the Cabinet Committee to consider and endorse, or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport on the proposed decision to adopt and publish the Kent Waste Disposal Strategy. He said that the strategy was a high level document looking forward to 2030/35 and the next step would be to develop an implementation plan. He also thanked officers and Members who had been involved in the working group.
(2) A number of Members commented on the usefulness of the Member and officer working group and said they would be happy to be involved in any working group established to develop the implementation plan.
(3) Comments were also made about considering the feasibility of providing access to some waste and recycling sites for people bringing waste on foot and about increasing the amount of waste that was re-used. Issues were also raised about specific sites in Thanet which Mr Balfour (Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport) undertook to answer outside the meeting.
(4) In response to questions, officers said that:
· In 2015/16, 6.5% of waste was sent to landfill which placed KCC among the top performing councils. It was, however, anticipated that the figures for 2016 would show that less than 3% of waste went to landfill and this would put KCC among the top 4 or 5 councils nationally
· It was envisaged that Members would be closely involved in the development of the implementation plan associated with the strategy particularly as there was a small possibility that the Brexit negotiations might result in changes to legislation.
(5) Resolved that the proposed decision to adopt and publish the Kent Waste Disposal Strategy be endorsed.