Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
On 14 May, the government wrote to Local Authorities announcing that £600 million will be issued to councils to support care providers through a new Infection Control Fund. This is to be received in two instalments: 50% in late May and 50% in July. The government has required that 75% of this funding is for direct passporting to homes that have met the conditions outlined in the grant. There is more discretion over how the remaining 25% of the grant can be spent.
In a Q & A document issued by government on 8th June, further clarification was given as to the areas on which the 25% of the grant can spent.
“Local authorities may use 25% of the Grant on other Covid-19 infection control measures, including payments to domiciliary care providers or wider workforce measures. These wider measures could include, for example, additional financial support for the purchase of personal protective equipment by providers or by the local authority directly (although not for costs already incurred) or measures the local authority could put in place to boost the resilience and supply of the adult social care workforce in their area in order to support effective infection control.”
DHSC Infection Control Fund Question and Answer
The proposals will be developed in co-production with social care providers to ensure that they will meet the needs of the market.
Reason for the decision -
Under Decision 20/00061 Infection Control Fund, KCC accepted an £18.88m grant from government. 75% of this was passported to care homes in accordance with direction from government but with the requirement that KCC take on accountability and responsibility for management of the funding.
25% of this funding (£4.72) must now be deployed on other infection control measures as determined by KCC. As part of the previous key decision, it was agreed that:
the Corporate Director for Adult Social Care will develop proposals on how to allocate the remaining 25% (£4.72m) of the Infection Control Fund grant, in line with the terms of the grant, to support the whole care market (including homecare, supported living and those on direct payments) with wider resilience in relation to COVID-19 Infection Control.
This decision is necessary to progress with delivering this allocation of the £4.72m.
In recognition of the challenging situation for providers, KCC is moving at pace to develop the detailed proposals with providers via co-production. These will be considered by the Cabinet Member and included when further formal decision notices are issued.
To approve the spending proposals relating to the 25% (£4.72m) of the Infection Control Fund grant allocated to the Council for infection control measures across the wider social care market.
Publication date: 24/07/2020
Date of decision: 24/07/2020
Effective from: 01/08/2020