Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Education
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
1. To expand Palmarsh Primary School to 1FE;
2. To authorise the Director Infrastructure in consultation with the Interim General Council to enter into any necessary contracts/ agreements on behalf of the County Council;
3. To authorise the Director Infrastructure to be the nominated Authority Representative within the relevant agreements and to enter into variations as envisaged under the contracts. Variations to contract value to be no more than 10% above the capital funding agreed by the Cabinet Member without requiring a new Record Of Decision: and
4. To authorise the Corporate Director - Education and Young People's Services to issue Public Notice to expand the school.
The project is in line with Kent strategies and in particular the following Supporting Outcomes:
· All children and young people are engaged, thrive and achieve their potential through academic and vocational education
· Kent young people are confident and ambitious with choices and access to work, education and training opportunities
The costs to this project will be outlined in the report that will be considered by the Education and Young People’s Services Cabinet Committee.
Any legal implications will be explained in the report to the Cabinet Member prior to him taking his decision.
Equality Implications: An Equality Impact Assessment will be produced before the start of the consultation process and will be accessible on line via the following link:
As Cabinet Member for Education and Health Reform I agree to:
a) Authorise the Corporate Director - Education and Young People's Services to issue Public Notice to expand Palmarsh Primary School to 1FE, with a published admissions number of 30 from September 2018 (subject to planning permission being granted);
b) Allocate £2.2m from the Education and Young People’s Service Capital budget;
c) Authorise the Director of Property and Infrastructure Support in consultation with the Director of Governance and Law to enter into any necessary contracts/ agreements on behalf of the County Council; and
d) Authorise the Director of Property and Infrastructure Support to be the nominated Authority Representative within the relevant agreements and to enter into variations as envisaged under the contracts. Variations to contract value to be no more than 10% above the capital funding agreed by the Cabinet Member without requiring a new Record Of Decision.
Should objections, not already considered by me when taking this decision, be received during the public notice period a separate decision will be required in order to continue the proposal and allow for a proper consideration of the points raised.
Reason(s) for decision:
The Commissioning Plan for Education Provision in Kent (2016-20) sets out the intention to commission additional school places in the Hythe area of Shepway. The Plan also mentioned a specific need to expand Palmarsh School by up to 1 FE.
In reaching this decision I have taken into account:
a) Capital – The enlargement of the School requires the provision of additional classrooms, as well as ancillary facilities in preparation for further development. The total estimated cost of the expansion is likely to be in the region of£2.2m.
b) Revenue - The School will receive increased funding through the Delegated Budget. The rising roles will be protected in line with KCC Growth Funding Policy. Revenue funding will also be allocated to enable the School to resource each new classroom as they come on line. At present that is at a value of £6,000 per classroom.
c) Human – The School will appoint additional staff as required, as the School size increases and the need arises.
Publication date: 25/01/2017
Date of decision: 24/01/2017
Effective from: 02/02/2017