Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Environment
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
KCC Waste Management are looking to extend the following two contracts for further 12 month periods under the Procurement Policy Note 01/20: Responding to COVID-19 which states that where there is an urgent requirement for goods, services or works due to or responding to the impact of COVID-19, procurement is permissible under Public Contract Regulations 2015 (PCRs) using regulation 32(2)(C):
• West & Mid Kent Dry Recyclable Processing Contracts Lots 1 & 2 (ref. SS15105) with Viridor Waste Management Limited, for the processing of household recyclable materials that are collected kerbside from seven Waste Collection Authorities within Kent: Maidstone, Swale, Dartford, Gravesham, Sevenoaks, Ashford and Tonbridge & Malling. The Contract commenced 4th July 2016 and following the extension periods specified within the Contracts are due to end 3rd July 2020. KCC Waste Management is looking to extend these Contracts to 3rd July 2021 with the agreement of Viridor Waste Management Limited.
• Contract for the Processing & Recycling of Wood Waste 2020 (09/23) with Countrystyle Recycling Limited had an initial term of 5 years with an option to extend for a further 5 years which was invoked. The original contract commenced 4th October 2010 and following the extension period is due to end 14th November 2020. KCC Waste Management are looking to extend the Contract to 14th November 2021 with the agreement of Countrystyle at a reduced gate fee.
Original Records of Decision expire the cessation of the original contracts, as such a new decision needs to be made. Expected expenditure remains within budget on both contracts.
Options - it is a legal requirement (2012 Executive Arrangements regulations) to outline other options considered
There are two options as follows:
1. Do nothing – the current contracts will elapse with no arrangement in place.
2. Extend the existing arrangements under the current contracts’ terms and conditions to fulfil the Statutory duty of KCC operating under the Environmental Protection Act 1990, to dispose of collected municipal waste.
The 2nd option is necessary due to the existing contracts being satisfactory and performing well and to allow KCC time to undertake full Procurements of both waste materials to ensure that the best outcomes are reached for Kent residents, whilst dealing with the Challenges and pressures due to the Covid-19 Pandemic.
As Cabinet Member for Environment, I agree to provide authority to the Corporate Director for Growth, Environment and Transport to extend the:
· West & Mid Kent Dry Recyclables Processing Contracts Lots 1 & 2 (SS15105); and
· Contract for the Processing of Wood Waste 2010 – 2015 (2020) (09/23).
Publication date: 15/07/2020
Date of decision: 15/07/2020
Effective from: 23/07/2020