Decision Maker: Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To agree the proposed approach and next steps for the Incubator & Start up Workspace Programme set out below
The aim of the programme is to support the provision of incubator and start up workspace in key locations where district councils, partner organisations and the business community are able to demonstrate that there is clear evidence of need that is not being met by the private sector. Prospective projects will be assessed against a range of criteria that will include:
· Workspace provision will be restricted to new and micro-businesses only.
· There must be flexible occupancy terms for businesses, such as monthly ‘easy in-easy out’ licences.
· Evidence that there is on hand business support services and advice from accredited providers.
· A requirement that businesses move on to larger premises when they become successfully established.
· Opportunities to utilise vacant premises owned by the public and private sectors.
A competitive bidding process will operate over two discrete stages, and all prospective bids will be considered by the Cabinet Member for Regeneration and Economic Development in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Finance, Deputy Cabinet Member for Environment, Highways and Waste and the Director of Economic Development. The first stage will involve inviting prospective bidders to submit an Expression of Interest which includes a project outline, evidence of need and information about costs and expected impact. Shortlisted bids that meet the criteria would progress to the second (Full Bid) stage that would require the submission of detailed business plans.
To agree the next steps for the Incubators / Start Up Work Programme including the delegation of authority to the Director of Economic Development to facilitate timely implementation of those next steps.
Publication date: 08/02/2013
Date of decision: 08/02/2013
Effective from: 16/02/2013