To receive the report from the Cabinet Member for Environment & Transport and Corporate Director for Growth, Environment & Transport and to consider and endorse or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member.
(1) The Cabinet Committee received a report of the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport and the Corporate Director of Growth, Environment and Transport which contained information about Joint Transportation Boards (JTBs) parish attendance and voting rights.
(2) Mr John Wilson, Immediate Past Chairman of Kent Association of Local Councils (KALC), was also in attendance for this item. He welcomed the proposed decision stating that voting rights for Parish Council members seemed to be a natural progression.
(3) Mr Caller proposed and Dr Eddy seconded an amendment as follows:
It is recommended
that the Cabinet Member for Transport and Environment be asked to
approve note the KALC request for a total of two Parish
Members to attend JTBs (with voting rights) and attendant
changes as set out in this report.
A report to all JTBs
seeking District Council
agreement to views on the KALC
proposal will be considered in the autumn round of
(4) Mr Caller stated that he had proposed his amendment because for the County Council to decide something and then seek the agreement of District Councils was counterproductive. One size did not fit all and as some areas of Kent were not parished, some were partially parished and some completely parished the question of proportionality was raised.
(5) The Cabinet Member explained that to note the recommendation was not acceptable in this instance and that the document attached to the report as Appendix B was an agreement between KCC and Borough and District Councils.
(6) Mr Caller withdrew the amendment but suggested the recommendation should read ‘approve on behalf of KCC subject to JTB agreement’.
(7) The Cabinet Member stated that it was not within KCC’s power to impose anything on JTBs if they objected to Parish Council members being given voting rights.
(8) RESOLVED that the Cabinet Committee endorsed the proposed decision to be taken by the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport to:
a) approve the KALC request for a total of two Parish Members to attend JTBs (with voting rights) and attendant changes as set out in the report.
b) commission a report to all JTBs seeking District Council agreement to the KALC proposal for consideration in the autumn round of meetings.