To receive a report from the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport, the Corporate Director of Growth, Environment and Transport and the Director, Environment, Planning & Enforcement and to consider and endorse, or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member on the proposed pitch fee increase for Traveller sites managed by KCC, to take effect from 1 April 2015.
(1) The Cabinet Committee received the report of the Cabinet Member for Environment and Transport, Mr Brazier, and the Director of Environment, Planning and Enforcement, Paul Crick, detailing the reasons for the proposed pitch fee increase for traveller sites managed by KCC, to take effect from 1 April 2015. Mr Crick was in attendance to introduce the report and in particular referred to the following:
(2) Pitch fees for traveller sites managed by KCC were regulated by the Mobile Homes Act 1983 which only permitted an increase once in every twelve months, and only allowed an increase in line with the Retail Price Index (RPI) unless evidence of improvements to the amenity of the pitch could be shown. The RPI increase for 2014 was 2.3%.
(3) It was proposed to increase the pitch fees by 2.3% at all sites except Three Lakes. Maintenance and refurbishment work to the amenity blocks and pitches at the Three Lakes site were shortly to be completed at a cost of around £90,000. It was proposed to increase the fee for each Three Lakes pitch by 2.3% plus an additional £5.50 per week in recognition of the improved amenities.
(4) In response to questions raised and comments made the Committee received the following further information from officers:
(5) The collection rate across the county was close to 100%. Breakdown by site could be provided to Members on request.
(6) The RPI was announced each September, sometimes it was higher than the Council Tax increase, sometimes it was lower.
(7) The increase of £5.50 was consistent with previous increases at sites where amenities had been improved, most recently at the Coldharbour site in Aylesford.
(8) RESOLVED that the new proposed rents to be applied from 1 April 2015 be endorsed.