To receive a report from the Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health and the Corporate Director of Social Care, Health and Wellbeing and to comment on and either endorse or make a recommendation to the Cabinet Member on the proposed decision to re-commission the short breaks service for adult carers of vulnerable adults across Kent for a further two years, until 31 March 2018.
Emma Hanson (Head of Community Based Services) was in attendance for this item
(1) Mrs Hanson introduced the report which asked the committee to consider and endorse, or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health with regard to the re-commissioning of short breaks for adult carers of vulnerable adults in Kent for two years until 31 March 2018.
(2) Mrs Hanson said the short breaks contract was jointly funded by Health and Kent County Council, the contract had been in place for three years, and that funding had been identified to re-commission the service.
(3) In response to questions, Mrs Hanson said respite care was provided for vulnerable adults away from their homes and was commissioned in conjunction with clinical commissioning groups. The contract being considered referred to short break service provided for carers in the home.
(4) During the discussion Members acknowledged the valuable role played by carers. It was also confirmed that the provision of a short breaks services was a statutory requirement.
(5) RESOLVED that the proposed Cabinet Member decision, to re-commission the short breaks for adult carers of vulnerable adults and to delegate authority to the Corporate Director for Social Care, Health and Wellbeing, or other nominated officer, to authorise the letting of the contract, be endorsed.