The Children’s, Young People and Education Cabinet Committee is asked to consider and endorse or make recommendations to the Cabinet Member on the proposed decision set out in the report.
1. Karen Sharp (Head of Commissioning Transformation) and Sian Fox (Commissioning Officer) introduced the report and welcomed questions and comments from the Committee.
2. Philip Segurola discussed the close working relationship with colleagues from the Commissioning team and the need to maintain the right balance between cost efficiency and what is best for the young people.
3. In response to questions from Members, Karen Sharp discussed the current contract weaknesses and how these would be overcome and the option for Gen2 to deliver the service which was not considered the most viable current option. Philip Segurola said that in terms of the funding, there was a set amount from the Home Office for every over 18 year old which covered everything that they needed. Housing benefits were available to young people or they could self-fund which ensured that KCC was on the right side of the cost ceiling and minimised the cost imply cations for the Council.
4. Andrew Ireland said that by securing a more effective contract in the future and a managed transition process, the authority would be in a position to be able to plan more strategically.
5. RESOLVED that that the Cabinet Committee considered the proposed decision by the Cabinet Member for Children, Young People and Education to:
a) Award short-term interim contracts to the existing service providers to deliver a Shared Accommodation Service forChildren inCare andCare Leaversaged16-21 from1 March2018 to 31 August 2018,
b) Award a new contract for a Shared Accommodation Service for Children in Care and Care Leavers aged 16-21 from 24 October 2017 to 31 October 2022, and
c) Delegate authority to the Corporate Director ofSocial Care, Health and Wellbeing, or other nominated officer, toimplement the decision.