Sharon Thompson (Head of Planning Applications Group) was in attendance for this item.
1. Miss Carey introduced the proposed decision, confirmed that the review of the plan was required under the National Planning Policy Framework 2021 and the National Planning Policy for Waste 2014, and highlighted the planned updates. She acknowledged that the plan had to be thorough and protect Kent’s natural resources.
2. Mrs Thompson gave a technical overview of the review. She noted that whilst the policy was adopted in 2016, it was important that the plan reflected Kent’s position in 2021, whilst also incorporating changes in low carbon and waste policy. She stressed that the review did not propose any changes to Kent’s core minerals policy and drew members attention to the policy conformity RAG rating outlined in the report.
3. Mrs Thompson informed members that the Kent Minerals and Waste Local Plan 2013-30 would return to the committee prior to a decision allowing a public consultation on the proposed policy updates.
4. Mr Baldock asked how the policy had been received by district councils and what impact the feedback had on the final policy. Mrs Thompson confirmed that the policy balanced housing and mineral needs, the good performance of safeguards was highlighted.
5. Mr Bond asked how the safeguarding of wharfs and jetties had been reviewed. Mrs Thompson confirmed that functional jetties were safeguarded to protect the safeimport and export of goods. She agreed to look at wharf and jetty useability further, though noted national policy constraints.
6. Ms Dawkins requested that the documentation included in the public consultation be presented simply. Mrs Thompson highlighted the executive summary as an accessible overview and confirmed that national policies set out requirements.
RESOLVED to endorse the proposed decision of the Cabinet Member responsible for the Minerals and Waste Local Plan to give approval to the five-year review of the Kent Minerals and Waste Local Plan 2013-30 for publication.