Venue: Wantsum Room, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone. View directions
Contact: Andrew Tait 01622 694342
(1) The Head of Governor Services introduced a report explaining the new governance regulations in maintained schools. This report also set out proposed new guidelines for the appointment and removal of Authority Governors for comment by the Panel prior to a report being submitted to Selection and Member Services Committee which took those comments into account.
(2) Members of the Panel briefly discussed the implications of the new regulations for the work of the Panel before moving on to consider the new guidelines set out in the Appendices to the report. The Panel’s comments on the Appendices are set out below:-
(a) Appendix A: Role and Expectations of a Local Authority Governor. No comment;
(b) Appendix B: The Role of the Governor Appointments Panel from September 2014. No comment;
(c) Appendix C: Governing Body Request for Local Authority Governor Nomination. No comment;
(d) Appendix D: Process for Removal of local authority governors. The proposed Procedure should be re-written to include that in addition to the Governing Body the Cabinet Member for Education and Health Reform, the Local Member and also the Corporate Director for Education and Young People’s Services are each able to make a written proposal for removal;
(e) Appendix E: Guidelines for the Nomination of Local Authority Governors. No comment.
(f) Appendix F: Governor Qualifications and disqualifications. No comment.
(3) RESOLVED that subject to the proposed amendment to Appendix D: Process for Removal of local authority governors set out in (2) (d) above the proposed new guidelines for the appointment and removal of Authority Governors be recommended to Selection and Member Services Committee for adoption.
(1) The Panel considered a report on the procedure to be adopted for the consideration of a request by a school for the removal of a Local Authority Governor.
(2) The Panel agreed that the appropriate course of action was to adopt the procedure currently in existence for consideration at the next Panel meeting on 3 October 2014.
(3) RESOLVED that the request by a school for the removal of a Local Authority Governor be considered by the Panel at its meeting on 3 October 2014 under the procedures adopted in 2002.
Mrs Linda Lissimore
The Panel noted that Mrs Linda Lissimore was leaving the Authority. It expressed its appreciation for her excellent service and wished her well in the future.