Venue: Council Chamber, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone. View directions
Contact: Andrew Tait 03000 416749
To note the appointment of Mr D L Brazier in place of Mr P J Homewood.
RESOLVED that the appointment of Mr D L Brazier in place of Mr P J Homewood be noted.
(a) Committee: 24 January 2019
(b) Member Panel: 27 February 2019
(c) Mental Health Guardianship Sub-Committee – 12 February 2019
RESOLVED that the Minutes of the Committee meeting of 24 January 2019 and the Member Panel of 27 February 2019 are correctly recorded and that they be signed by the Chairman. The Minutes of the Mental Health Guardianship Sub-Committee are noted.
The Head of Planning Applications Group gave an update on planning enforcement and monitoring work carried out since the Committee meeting on 24 January 2019. The Team had continued to prioritise resources on those sites which had the greatest potential for environmental harm. She drew Members’ attention to the Government document ‘Our Waste, Our Resources’ which was a strategy for managing waste in England.
The Chairman proposed, Mr Marsh seconded, and the Committee agreed unanimously, that some training should be undertaken on the Waste Strategy. This would start at 10am on the day of a future Regulation Committee with the Committee meeting to follow. There would be an open invitation to all Members of the Council to attend.
The Head of Planning Applications Group explained that the complexity of enforcement cases continued to grow and, as evidenced in other parts of the country, continued to move towards more organised crime links with an emphasis on mixed uses.
The Chairman suggested that a representative of the Environment Agency be invited to future meetings, the Committee agreed.
RESOLVED that the actions taken or contemplated in the report be endorsed.
(Open Access to Minutes)
(Members resolved under Section 100A of the Local Government Act 1972 that the public be excluded for the following business on the grounds that it involved the likely disclosure of exempt information as defined in paragraphs 5 and 6 of Part 1 of Schedule 12A of the Act.)
Update on Planning Enforcement cases
(1) The Team Leader – Planning Enforcement gave an update on unauthorised planning enforcement matters setting out actions taken or contemplated at Ashford Waste Water Treatment Works, Bybrook, Ashford; Casa Amica and Ripley’s Auto Spares Ltd, Bilsington, Ashford; Mount Pleasant Farm, Yorkletts, Whitstable; Mount Joy, Yorkletts, Whitstable; Hawthorn Cottages, May Street, Herne Bay; Spires Academy, Sturry, Canterbury; Wentworth Primary School, Dartford; Maypole Community Primary School, Dartford; Borough Green Sand Pits, Borough Green; Stonepit Restoration Ltd, Dartford; Land Adjoining Long Hill Playing Field, Dover; Fleetmix Ltd, Northfleet; Mayfield Grammar School, Gravesham; Land at Stockbury Valley, Stockbury; Water Lane/Moat Road, Headcorn, Maidstone; Little Neverend Farm, Pye Corner, Ulcombe; Environment First Ltd, Chart Sutton, Maidstone; St Francis Catholic Primary School, Maidstone; Thirwell Farm, Drove Lane, Hernhill; East Kent Recycling Site D, Oare Creek, Faversham; Three Lakes Caravan Park, Murston and Wrotham Quarry, Addington, West Malling.
(2) The Chairman reported that the local Member, Mr M Dance, was informed of the Mount Pleasant Farm, Yorkletts site.
(3) Members briefly discussed responsibility for road lining with respect to single and double yellow lines.
(4) The Committee amended the Stockbury Valley site recommendation in order to retain it on the Schedule of Contraventions on unauthorised or permitted sites.
(5) Members requested that a representative, responsible for school developments be invited to a future meeting.
RESOLVED that subject to (4) above, the enforcement strategies outlined in paragraphs 4 to 16 and the Schedule/Appendix of the report be noted and endorsed.