Venue: Darent Room, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone. View directions
Contact: Peter Sass 01622 694002
Minutes - 5 June 2014 PDF 28 KB
RESOLVED that the minutes of the meeting held on 5 June 2014 be approved as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Electoral Review of Kent County Council's Area PDF 22 KB
(1) Mr Sass introduced the draft submission to the Local Government Boundary Commission for England (LGBCE) on Council Size. The submission had been produced in accordance with the decision of the Committee at their meeting on 5 June 2014 to propose that Council size remained at 84 Members and noting a preference for single Member divisions where possible. The Committee was invited to comment on, amend as necessary and approve the draft for submission to the County Council on 17 July 2014.
(2) Mr Sass referred to the detailed population forecasts for 2020 which indicated an increased average number of electors per division of 850. He thanked Members for participating in the survey referred to in paragraph 24 of the submission.
(3) A Member reminded the Committee that a number of Districts would have new ward boundaries with effect from May 2015 following Electoral Boundary Reviews.
(4) The Committee discussed the preference for single Member divisions and how this should be worded in the draft submission. There was no amendment agreed to the wording in the draft submission.
(5) RESOLVED that the draft submission to the LGBCE on Council Size, Appendix A to the report, be recommended to the County Council for approval at its meeting on 17 July 2014.