Agenda and minutes
Venue: Council Chamber, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone. View directions
Contact: John Lynch 03000 410466
Webcast: View the webcast
(1) Mr Watts introduced a report which updated the Committee on a number of decisions which he had made, in his role as County Returning Officer, in relation to the planning and coordination of the election. Mr Watts noted that specific concerns raised by the Committee in the previous meeting had been reflected in the decision making.
(2) A Member enquired about the use of electronic vote counting. Mr Watts explained that the counting method was determined locally and the arrangements had to be compliant with Electoral Commission guidance to ensure an accurate and transparent result.
(3) Members emphasised the importance of transparency for any counting method. Mr Watts committed to providing the Committee with the arrangements for each count.
(4) RESOLVED that the Committee:
(a) note the progress made with regard to planning for the 2017 County Council election and request the County Returning Officer to provide a review of the 2017 County Council Elections in summer 2017;
(b) instruct the County Returning Officer to ensure the democratic transparency at all counts.
(1) Mr Gibbens introduced a report about the County Scale of Election Fees and Expenses which was submitted for approval by the Committee annually. Mr Watts explained that the County Scale of Election Fees and Expenses was uplifted each year using the average NJC pay award for local government.
(2) Mr Gibbens thanked Members and Officers for their contributions to the Committee during the Council term particularly in relation to the boundary review.
(3) RESOLVED that the Committee approve the proposed County Scale of Fees and Expenses for the period 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018.