Venue: Stour Room, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone. View directions
Contact: Gaetano Romagnuolo 03000416624 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Election of Chair
The Clerk invited nominations for Chair. Mr Cooper nominated Mr Thomas, seconded by Mr Brazier, Mr Farrell, Mrs Dean, Ms Hamilton. No other nominations were made.
RESOLVED that Mr Thomas be elected Chairman of the Affordable Housing Select Committee.
1. The Chair wished Mrs Dean well and referenced her request for the review to come to the Committee. He referenced the timetable, which involved completing the full review process by July 2020.
2. Members supported the Chair’s comments regarding the importance of the Committee’s work and the need to balance delivering at pace with ensuring necessary due diligence to allow for accurate research and the development of reasonable recommendations.
3. Gaetano Romagnuolo (Overview and Scrutiny Research Officer) confirmed the planned timetable for the review, highlighting the evidence gathering schedule which included multiple sessions on 12, 14, 18, 19, 21, 27 and 28 February 2020.
4. In considering the provisional witness list included in the agenda papers, Members discussed other potential witnesses and sources of information to help inform the review. The Committee supported exploring evidence gathering from the following groups:
· Kent Developers Group
· Help to Buy/Mortgage Advisors
· Rapporteur Schemes
· District Councils
· Shelter Group (Homelessness)
· Norfolk site visit
5. It was noted that Officers would investigate the suggested evidence sources, and a site visit and progress them where feasible. Gaetano Romagnuolo would circulate the Rapporteur scheme guidance to Members.
· The Terms of Reference and general approach, the timetable for the review and the sources of evidence (those included in the report and the additions suggested in the meeting) be agreed; and
· The Committee acknowledge the good work already being undertaken by other organisations to support affordable housing, and that the review would consider ways in which KCC could contribute to achieving and supporting positive outcomes on affordable housing.