Venue: Council Chamber, Sessions House, County Hall, Maidstone
Contact: Denise Fitch 03000 416090
Webcast: View the webcast
Apologies for Absence
The General Counsel reported apologies from Mr Chard, Mr Holden, Mrs Hohler, Mr Rayner and Mr Simmonds.
Declarations of Disclosable Pecuniary Interests or Other Significant Interests in items on the agenda
(1) Dr Sullivan declared an interest as her husband was employed by the County Council in the Early Help and Prevention Team.
(2) Mr Lewis declared an interest as his wife worked for the County Council.
a) Mr Bertie Bassam
(1) The Chairman stated that it was with regret that he had to inform Members of the sad death of Mr Bassam on Friday 22 December. Mr Bassam served on Kent County Council between 1997 - 2009.
(2) Mr Bassam’s funeral had taken place on Thursday 18 January 2018 and there would be an opportunity for Members to pay tribute to Mr Bassam at the March County Council meeting.
b) New Years Honours list
The Chairman referred Members to the list of New Year Honours Recipients from Kent and formally congratulated all those who had received an Honour.
c) Lizzy Yarnold
The Chairman referred to Lizzy Yarnold’s recent success at the winter Olympics in achieving a second gold medal for women’s skeleton. He reminded Members that Lizzy had been awarded the Kent Invicta Award by the County Council in 2014. He had written to congratulate her on her achievement on behalf of the County Council.
(1) The Chairman reminded all Members that any Member of a Local Authority who was liable to pay Council Tax, and who had any unpaid Council Tax amount overdue for at least two months, even if there was an arrangement to pay off the arrears, must declare the fact that they are in arrears and must not cast their vote on anything related to KCC’s Budget or Council Tax.
(2) The Chairman stated that all Members would have received an email from Democratic Services, dated 14 February, setting out the process and order of the budget debate at today’s meeting.
(3) Mr Brazier moved and Mr Angell seconded the following recommendation:
“Procedure Rule 1.12(2) be suspended in order that the meeting be extended to 5.00pm if necessary;
Procedure Rule 1.28 be suspended in order that the proposer of the original motion and the seconder be allowed to speak in total for a maximum of 17 minutes, the Leaders of the Liberal Democrat, Labour and Independent Groups speak for 8, 6 and 4 – minutes respectively, with the Proposer of the motion being given a 5 minute right of reply; and the Cabinet Members to speak for up to 12 minutes when introducing each directorate debate; and
Procedure Rule 1.35 be suspended in order for the proposer and seconder of the original motion to be permitted to speak on more than one occasion.”
Agreed without a formal vote
(4) The Chairman then invited Mr Wood, Corporate Director Finance, to give a presentation on various issues relevant to the budget. As part of this presentation, Mr Wood as Section 151 officer confirmed that the budget estimates were robust and the level of reserves adequate, as required by the Local Government Act 2003.
(5) Mr Carter moved and Mrs Crabtree seconded the following motion:
The County Council is asked to agree the following:
(a) Net revenue budget requirement of £958.488m for 2018-19
(b) Capital investment proposals of £794.707m over three years from 2018-19 to 2020-21 together with the necessary funding and subject to approval to spend arrangements
(c) The Treasury Management Strategy as per section 5 of the draft Budget Book released on 15th January
(d) Prudential Indicators as set out in revised Appendix B to the draft Budget Book (appendix 7 of this report)
(e) The Minimum Revenue Provision (MRP) Statement as set out in Appendix C to the draft Budget Book
(f) The directorate capital programmes as set out in the draft Budget Book released on 15th January as amended by the changes in this report (summarised in appendix 2 of this report)
(g) The directorate revenue budget proposals as set out in the draft Budget Book released on 15th January as amended by the latest updates included in this report (summarised in appendices 3, 4, 5 and 6 of this report)
(h) Delegate responsibility to Cabinet Members and Corporate Directors to manage the budget within the parameters set out in the Constitution and Financial Regulations (summary ... view the full minutes text for item 54.