Children's Centres are an invaluable resource to local families
providing a number of services including but not limited to:
- Mental Health Support.
- Physical health support for expectant mothers and young babies through midwifery and health visiting services.
- Support and help for families experiencing domestic violence.
- Support through early help provisions for families in need.
- Food/clothing bank provisions
- Adult education
- Early years education through groups.
The ethos of Sure Start Children's Centres is that these services be accessible within pram pushing distance. The proposals will simply not provide this. Public transport will not enable access. Bus services are being cut, in addition to very limited spaces for buggies and push chairs meaning often parents are unable to even take buses which are running.
The Blossoms building in particular is a purpose built building which would serve little other purpose. There is no vehicular access, it is in the middle of a school premises and the layout is such that it is perfectly designed for the current use.
The Blossoms Centre is used extensively. Sessions run here are at, or over capacity with spaces on bookable activities being filled from waiting lists before new dates are released.
None of the centres should be closed. They are a lifeline to families but Blossom in particular should remain open to the community.
This ePetition runs from 11/02/2023 to 12/05/2023.
76 people have signed this ePetition.