1. The proposal requires the provision of a new school building on land west of Knights Way, Longfield Road, Tunbridge Wells, Kent, TN2 3UQ. The first phase of the accommodation will be delivered in line with the new EFA school baseline designs, which have smaller footprints than the Kent Standard of recent years.
2. The intention is to build a 1FE building for 210 pupils, with 2FE ancillary facilities in the first phase. This will allow the school to be easily expanded to accommodate future need and ensure that the school meets the pupil demand arising from the new development and local demand from population growth.
i. A sum of £3.742 million and a school site have been secured in respect of developer contributions towards education as set out in the Section 106 completion document dated 28/01/14. The constrained site is smaller than normally made available for a 2FE school, although the site can accommodate all of the required facilities.
ii. The total cost for phase 1 is estimated to be in the region of £5.4 million. However the cost net of the developer contributions is expected to be approximately £1.3m. The costs of the project are estimates and these may increase as the project is developed. If the cost of the project is greater than 10% the Cabinet Member will be required to take a further decision to allocate the additional funding.
i. Furniture and Equipment - £6,000 per classroom will be provided towards the cost of furniture and equipment. This will be given to the new school’s leadership team for them to undertake procurement.
ii. Start-up Costs: KCC will provide a budget of £50,000 for start-up costs which will typically commence from January through to 31 August prior to the new school opening on 1 September 2015. This is to cover the costs of employing appropriate staff. On opening, the new school will be funded directly by the Education Funding Agency.
iii. Pupil Growth Funding: In accordance with the Pupil Growth Policy established by KCC and its School’s Funding Forum, the school will receive guaranteed funding as follows:
· Year 1 - 60 pupils
· Year 2 - 90 pupils
· Year 3 - 120 pupils
iv. The costs of the satellite unit would be met from the Dedicated Schools Grant, with funding being provided to the special school to run the provision.
c. Human - The school will appoint additional teachers and support staff as required.
Decision type: Key
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Notice of proposed decision first published: 17/03/2014
Contact: Jared Nehra, Area Education Officer - West Kent 01732 525330 and 01622 694174 Email: email@example.com, Kevin Shovelton, Director Education Planning & Access Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
· Education Cabinet Committee – 27 September 2013
· Education and Young People Service Cabinet Committee – 22 April 2014
· A community drop-in consultation
Financial implications: Jared Nehra, Area Education Officer - West Kent 01732 525330 email@example.com Kevin Shovelton, Director of Education Planning and Access 01622 694174 firstname.lastname@example.org
Legal implications: 14/00040
Equalities implications: Expenditure is significant exceeding £1million